Wednesday 21 August 2013

Research on the horror/thriller genre;

With the plot outline I have thought of some of the scenes are slightly similar to the ones in the horror/psychological  thriller 'House At The End Of The Street' which was released in 2012 and worldwide gained $39,426,138 box office hits.




This is the poster for the film which i think works well for the genre, it is a character poster but also shows the house in the film giving the audience a setting which lets their mind wonder what has happened in that house for it to be a main part of the film and feature in the poster. Having the main character being Jennifer Lawrence and showing her on the poster is a smart idea from the creators of it because it will attract people to see the film with a big star clearly appearing in it and also fans of the said star would go to see to film mainly because she is in it. Also as Jennifer Lawrence has starred in other hit films such as The Hunger Games the audience will know her face and usually people go see films in which they know of the actors who are appearing in it. 

The reviews i have read completely vary, some say that it is not a horror/thriller as there is only 10 minutes of the film at the end which would class as the genre. Others say that the tension is built for an exciting plot twist at the end and the story line is good. With good or bad reviews the film grossed double the budget of $6,900,000 in the opening weekend. 

A good review said; 
'This movie was a pleasant surprise to me because I thought it was going to be more of a "horror" movie...I wouldn't call it that, I'd call it a terrific suspense thriller with good twists here and there. I liked the casting and the storyline. The actors did a good job, esp. the young college student male lead. This is a story that could have actually happened, imo. The music was a big part of the movie, too. Good soundtrack that, while I was aware of it, it did not take away from the scenes but built up my anxiety! It was like another character. Definitely worth seeing for all the right reasons. Very entertaining and kept my attention throughout. All this without "blood & guts" galore - made me think of the old Alfred Hitchcock-type thrillers that depended more on the viewer's anticipation and imagination. Lastly, I thought I had the plot figured out, but I was surprised at how wrong I was. Smiled on my way out of the theater.'

A bad review said; 
'House At The End of the Street stars Jennifer Lawrence and is about a daughter and mother who move into a house where the next door neighbor's's daughter killed her parents and fled the scene. She only left one surviving family member which was her brother.
A terrible name, terrible plot. Everything about this film is so clichéd that you stood nearly 10 feet ahead of it. There was no suspense and scenes that made you want to scream at the characters. And, just mentioning the characters, they were VERY one-dimensional. I didn't care about them, what happened to them, or what they will do. They all felt too generic to even listen to sometimes.
I kind of got the impression they were attempting a modernized Psycho- twist for teens. But it didn't come off, at all. The first half or maybe quarter was all right. But it went down-hill way too fast for me to comprehend. I thought the film could have went one direction, but when it came to the intersection, it looked at the right direction, gave it the finger, and went in the wrong one. I really had hopes for this one but it didn't deliver.

All in all, a terrible film. The only good thing about it is the first 20-30 minutes, some well-directed sequences and Jennifer Lawrence. That's all. Best to avoid this one, if you know what's good for you.

A low 4/10.'


No comments:

Post a Comment